Saturday, November 27, 2010

Colgate University Supplement (replacing prompt #48)

We honor the many different forms of diversity in our community. Your perspective is valuable because it comes from your life experiences, family background, culture, and traditions. Please tell us about a tradition that is important to you that comes from your family, community, or culture.
 
I am an African American, and during holiday season, fall and winter, family is a big deal. During these two seasons I see all parts of my family that I never see on a daily basis. The only time I ever get to see them is during this time. Even through I have two different sides, my mother's side is the only side that contains tradition. On thanksgiving I see my mother's side of the family. This tradition started not too long ago. 3years ago I never saw or talked to my grandfather before. my mother thought I should meet him, so on Thanksgiving we too a total five hour plane journy to North Carolina to see him. Having such a good time, we decided to do it every year. Every year it gets better and better and it makes me want to go back next Thanksgiving. All of my cousins on my mother's side of the family flies out there with us. It makes it that much better because I get to expericence a different place with new people and also the people I see more often. My grandfather looks forward to seeing me every year. He brags to all of his friends about my because I play basketball. It makes me feel good inside. I can't wait until i graduate high schol because he is going to come out to Los Angeles, Ca, and I get to take him around and show him where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment